Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Day 13, Klamath to Eureka CA, 65 miles



Well, the apocalypse is near. Matt is in a grumpy mood. Since day one, Matt's been letting me wear his long sleeve biking jersey, because it was way colder than I expected so I needed that plus arm warmers and my rain jacket. Apparently, Matt thought this extension of kindness was only temporary, and that I'd buy one for myself first chance I got. But ah, hello? $65 for something I'll only use this trip? I'll pass. But both of us didn't understand the other's point of view, and the showdown occurred today, in Eureka, California's local bike shop. He found one for me to buy, I said heck no, he fully realized his jersey was staying on my back indefinitely, and the fire of injustice has been burning ever since. A few minutes later he flipped a brick when dad took a bite of his snicker's, and now he's in the corner complaining about a gummy bear being stuck in his nasal cavity. This is rare. Matt's usually the one pushing us up hills and making up songs (yesterday's: "the sun'll come out...in a few more days...probably not...bet your bottom dollar that it...might.) But today he's just a bit fussy. When really I am the only one to have a reason to be grumpy, my sunglasses flew out of my pack today narrowly missing Matt's back tire, luckily they were recovered with minimal harm done. Luckily.  Today otherwise turned out great. We left Kalamath and took a gorgeous ride through a road lined with redwoods and got our pic with "Big Tree". It was, as you can imagine, big.  Dad says this ride still ranks in his top 5 of all time.  We passed mile after mile of HUGE trees lining the road. It was, dare I say it, fun. We kept down the road, the terrain a bit hilly but fine. Dad busted it about mile 40 to try and get to Eureka before we did to get his bike fixed, and fixed it now is. But, with the time it took, plus a stop at FedEx Kinko’s to get a camcorder we had shipped to us (the other went bonkers because of all the rain we've been having) it was just too late to continue. We had more miles in our legs, just not a 27 hour day to use them in, unfortunately. A word about our motel—holy canoli it is the most ghetto thing EVER, gotta love holes in the walls and cockroaches everywhere. Thanks everyone for the happy birthday wishes, it was definitely a unique one but one I'll never forget. Dad even got me a present, pink colored shoelaces that are quite fab. I love it. I wish you all well. I think we'll go for an 85-mile bike ride tomorrow.

Love,

Kristi Kay



No comments:

Post a Comment