Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Day 5 Kalaloch to Aberdeen 73 fra-zeezing miles


Things I think I would have rather done then ride in the rain, all day, with a head wind:

1. Go to war.

2. Read Twilight.

3. Y'know what, pretty much anything.

But alas, rain was the bitter forecast. Matt wonders if perhaps God is angry with us? Your thoughts? We got out a little late because we woke up to wet laundry and had to painstakingly dry it with a hair dryer, and then after just a bit of riding I broke a spoke and we had to take about 45 minutes to fix it. All of this happened, mind you, in very unrainy weather. But (cue depressing music) with just 10 miles at 10 a.m. The rain began. And boy did it rain. And it was like 40 degrees. And blowing.  Okay, I think you get the point. My mind was brought back to the planning meetings for this trip, where our dear brother Mike (not on this trip) would simply say, "it's going to be freezing, you know." Well mike, Touché. You were overwhelmingly correct! But we wouldn't be Wilson's if we made things easy. It was, in a word, demoralizing. For hours I just sat on Matt's wheel and let him take the wind away. Sometimes we'd just look at each other and scream because of how amazingly cold it was. I cracked a little bit and yelled at Dad for making me do this. But all is forgiven now, right? In the middle of all this we stopped for .81-cent hot cocoa at a tiny little shop. Glory bee. That was fabulous. For about an hour at the very end we got a glimmer of sunlight and believe it or not- we sure didn't midday we made it to our desired destination. In Aberdeen Washington we reside. We're all pooped, but want to say THANK YOU!!!! For all the words of encouragement and love and prayers. We are so thankful and love you right back. I'll let you know when my sunglasses make their debut.

And one last thing, Matt's song for the day, sung to the tune of Simon and Garfunkel’s "Sounds of Silence": "hello Charleston chew my old friend...it's nice to see you in my mouth again..." He eats a lot, but we like him.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment