Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Day 19, San Francisco to Santa Cruz 82 miles


Is it bad that the San Francisco Bridge still reminds me of Full House? We left that huge hilly terribly cold city this morning with a heavy heart. At least I did. Yesterday was the definition of a hard day. Cold, long, and disappointing.  So this morning I was more than a bit hesitant. We wound our way through the streets, climbed one of San Fran's finest MONSTER hills (well, I walked it) and trudged through until noonish. I never allow myself to look at the speedometer, so I didn't know the exact mileage, but I knew we were...pardon my French...sucking on miles. But at that point I think we got just far enough from San Fran, thus just far enough away from the curse it has upon us, and the wind blew fiercely...at our backs. Tailwind baby!  We put down 50 miles in about three and a half hours. The last ten miles I got a crazy allergy attack and could barley see, so it was quite a hot mess, but we survived one more day and live to tell the tale. We're in Santa Cruz, and they have palm trees, and streets named tropical things like "Ocean" and "Pacifica"! That's the California I'm talking about. As Dad mentioned yesterday, my left shifter was broken all day, so right when we got into town we started hitting up bike shops looking for a replacement. We got a tip to go to a place called "Bike Church"- a little community bike garage that carries random parts. We found a new shifter there (it's not technically called a shifter, but all I do is pedal, Matt and Dad handle all the technical stuff). It was the coolest place ever. Just a bunch of people (hippy looking, so, y'know, awesome) there to help us out. So today was good. We're in a shady motel, Matt is pretty sure he saw a drug deal go down in the parking lot (don't worry mom!), and I'm once again reminded of the serial killer in No Country For Old Men, but hey! One more day down. I'd like to do a shout out to Baby Boston, Kate's kid, who is ONE YEAR OLD today!!!!! Wish I could be there to give you a fat kiss. Also our prayers go out to Grandpa Ian and hope he's feeling all right after his stroke. Lastly, Matt would really like me to clear something up...the "bathroom problem" that he had yesterday was just trouble FINDING a bathroom, there was no less-then-appropriate-to-mention-publicly "bathroom problems" that occurred. If you have any questions you can talk to his attorney.

Thank you all and GOODnight. Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment