Friday, May 1, 2009

Day 1 Campbell River to Parksville, BC -75 Miles

Hello to all.  So the big day one was, as they always are, hard. Lots of time on the bike but we made it to where we were hoping.  The final miles for the day were 75.  Not bad especially because that is how many miles we are planning on doing each day.  Even as I sit here I can feel the toll the seat took on me.  I am sure that tomorrow is going to be really painful to sit down, but again, I knew that from previous trips.  This all seems so familiar but doesn't change the fact that we have to go through this again.  Kristi is really feeling the aches and pains associated with long rides.  Her arms are bugging her because of all the pressure of long hours on the bike. I (Matt) am having a little trouble with my left hand but nothing to bad.  Richard is cruising along like a tank, he is used to the bike so no big deal for him. I swear he could ride forever.  I don't know if he will ever grow old.  We saw a lot of oceanfront today.  It was pretty to watch the sun come up over the bay.  It stayed fairly cool all day.  Richard commented that it acted all day like it wanted to warm up but never did.  The sun was shinning but it was pleasantly cool.  Kristi got a decent sunburn from the sun.  I got a little on my face and legs but not as bad as hers.  We have also noticed that the Canadians are nice to bike riders.  All of them except the motor home that pass us uncomfortably close today, then again he could have been American.

Tomorrow is a little bigger day because we have nearly 90 miles to ride until we make Victoria.  That should be a cool city.  We are hoping to stay Sunday there.  Wish us luck. Thanks for all the encouraging emails. We are finding that responding to them might prove to big a task so don't be offended if you don't hear back.

 

-The Wilson's

No comments:

Post a Comment