Saturday, May 2, 2009

Parksville to Victoria BC-90 Miles

Oh hey, Kristi here. So it took about an hour to get this whole emailing scunanigan to work, so this better be a good one, eh? Look at me using" Eh", how terribly appropriate of me. SO. We made it to our desired destination. Good ol' Victoria, the last city in Canada we will see. Today was a doozey. We got up at 5:00, hoping to leave at 5:30, but a combination of an unexpected flat tire (mine, guilty) and certain people dreading today more than the apocalypse and choosing to stay in bed a few extra minutes (again, guilty) we didn't leave until 6:50 or so. The day started off well, it started raining a bit but was rather pleasant so we didn't mind. By lunch we had about 50 miles, and with Victoria still 40 miles away we had our work cut out for us. Around mile 65 we hit a GINORMOUS hill, which turned out to be somewhat of a mountain pass, which we discovered to be so when we kept turning the corner and seeing more and more uphill. And this was no small hill people, this was 5mph, 12% grade, so- not- cool- on- the- second- day hill. We made it though. I think the road knew when I would break, I kept feeling like I could do it, and about 30 seconds before we saw the summit sign I just burst into tears. At that point I think the road knew it had had its way with me so it could stop. What a punk. Anyway, post-hill we had one of the most beautiful descents I've ever seen; Matt was giggling aloud down the whole thing. This place is gorgeous! So green and beautiful. About 15 miles later we pulled into Victoria and are now sitting pretty in our hotel. I think that's just wonderful. Oddly enough, it was an amazing day. I never knew we could actually do what we did today. Matt and dad have been amazing, up nearly every hill I feel Matt's hand on my back pushing me and dad always parks it right behind me and supports me all the day long. Last night after prayer my cheeks were stained in tears and Matt and dad both hugged me and just sat with me. Annnnyway, this is hard, I didn't even get to wear my sunglasses all day, I'm sunburned, my Achilles tendons kill and are about twice their normal size, but a humongous dinner is coming and we get to sleep in tomorrow. Praise the Lord.

 

Love you all, Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment